Wednesday, April 20, 2011

NASCAR Pit Stops

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQQbEfr9irE

Sport Science investigated the anatomy of a NASCAR pit stop.  Unfortunately, they chose Kyle Busch's team, but that's beside the point. (GO DALE!!!)  They discovered the perfect pit stop is about 12.12 seconds long.  Most of the best pit crews in the sport accomplish a 4-tire pit stop in less than 13 seconds on a consistent basis.  A pit stop can make or break a race for a team at most tracks.  On the "over-the-wall" pit crew, there is a gas man, jack man, 2 tire carriers, and 2 tire changers (the catch-can man was eliminated prior to this season).  These are just any regular Joe's; they are usually college athletes.  I consider them professional athletes, because they perform at such a high level.  The jack man is the "quarterback" and must know his whole team's movements.  Tire changers have the toughest job.  These guys are able to get in their position in less than 2 seconds and change 6 lugnuts in about 1 second.

I am a huge NASCAR fan.  I've always had the dream of driving or being on a pit crew someday.  The common misconception with pit crews is that they're just beer-drinking, tobacco-chewing rednecks.  The truth is they are superior athletes.  Each person much have a great focus and competitive drive as well as being quick and strong.  A friend of mine played football at Wake Forest as a starter on the offensive line for their ACC Championship team.  He was invited to Hendrick Motorsports for a try-out and didn't make the cut; that tells you how good these athletes are.  I believe that I could be a jack man, but I know I couldn't be the tire changer.  When I rotate my tires, I use an air-gun and try to see how fast i can get the lugs in and out...it isn't pretty.  Next time you watch a NASCAR race, don't say it isn't a physically demanding sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment